September 12, 2009

One Fell Off And...

Yes, those are stitches on Garrett's forehead. While I expected him to acquire a stitch or two in his pursuit to conquer the heights (he is always climbing on the kitchen table, garden wall, and even on top of the piano), these came courtesy the very simple task of getting off the bed in my room. As he slid down the side on his stomach, the distance between his feet and the ground was just enough to throw him off balance when he dropped down. He fell right into the nightstand, and a gash resulted. He didn't cry much, and the cut didn't bleed, but it looked a little wide and there was an immediate amount of swelling underneath that was suspicious.

After calling Jason on the phone, I decided to walk across the street and get a second opinion from another mother, my sister-in-law, Angie. We both felt I should pursue professional intervention.

It was only 3:30 p.m. so I figured I could try calling my pediatrician. He had gone home for the day, but there were two others in the same office that would be able to attend to Garrett, so I went in to the office (rather than rush to an emergency room or instacare facility). It's a good thing we went in, because he needed three stitches to close the gap. I had to wrap him in a blanket and hold his body still on the table while a nurse held his head and another did the stitching. On the whole, it took about 15 minutes, much quicker than it would have been in an emergency room.

Garrett was so calm during the whole ordeal. His demeanor allowed me to be rational in responding to the situation. I mean, I even had the presence of mind to take the camera along to snap some photographs. Now, if only I had thought to change his clothing before we headed to the doctor's office. Yes, he is still in his pajamas at three-thirty in the afternoon!


This post authored by Amber

3 comments:

Joy said...

Aw, poor guy! I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was. And I am also glad to see that he was still in his PJs, because sometimes it takes me a long time to get us all dressed during the day. And at those times I think I must be the only one in the neighborhood "irresponsible" enough to not be on top of those types of things all the time... but really, I know that isn't true... :)

Pickle said...

You are so smart, going to the dr office instead of a long long wait at instacare or ER, I would have never thought of that! Glad he is okay! He look so cute even when he is sad. I love his eyes!

Noell said...

Oh my goodness!! That is so sad! What a brave little guy though! He's so sweet! :)