April 20, 2012

A Bit of Tomfoolery

Garret & Ella "helped" me with April Fool's dinner preparations. 

Yeah, so April Fool's day sort of snuck up on me and I hadn't made any plans for it whatsoever. Then I overheard my oldest boys talking to each other the night before, giddy with excitement and anticipating having dessert for dinner and dinner for desert as we had done in years past. Umm....

Well, it's a good thing that I almost had everything on hand necessary to make TV dinner cupcakes (except the corn flakes for the chicken, but Honey Bunches of Oats were an okay substitute.  And, yes.  We often have large assortments of candies like fruit flavored Tootsie Rolls at our house). 


I only had one small package of Jell-O, so I could only make trick drinks for the three boys.  Then I tried to use food color in water to create the same color for Jason and I.  It was a little lame. 



I misplaced the meatloaf recipe my sister had given me for the year before, so I resorted to trying the one on the box of the Lipton onion soup mix because it seem like it would be dry enough to form into a cake to be "frosted" with mashed potatoes. I was right. It was dry. It didn't taste very good to me, so dinner was a bit of a flop. But, hey! The kids were satisfied that the tradition continued, even if nobody ate very much. I think we resorted to satisfying our hunger with bowls of cold cereal later on that evening.



At least this year I set the bar pretty low.  I can certainly outdo myself come next April....that is, if I don't completely forget again!

This post authored by Amber

No comments: