March 11, 2011

Bless This Child!


We were thrilled to have so many family members join us for the special occasion of Ella's blessing.  Some had to travel long distances and arrive for a 9:00 am sacrament meeting.  That was no small feat. (Neither was fitting them all into our house for a brunch afterwards!)

These were the men who participated by standing in the circle. 
(I daresay, this may not be the last time I capture a
photograph of Ella surrounded by a bunch of males.
Hopefully that day will not come too soon.)

Ella was forced to wake and eat earlier in the morning than she would normally have done before getting dressed.  She seemed to be fussier than usual as a sign of protest, but was ever accommodating when it came time for the blessing.  Jason took the pacifier to the front of the chapel and handed it off to his brother, Brad, as a precautionary measure. It was not needed.  Ella cooperated by not making a peep during the prayer (which was lovely, by the way) and even kept her eyes wide open for the "Daddy is proudly showing off his baby to the audience" presentation.  For many family and neighbors, it was their first chance to get a glimpse of Ella in person.  I'm glad we took the time to get her all dressed up and looking pretty.  First impressions are so important, you know!

As for the dress, I was delighted to be able to use the one that my mother had made for my niece eighteen years ago. I was living at home during the time she worked on sewing the dress and had even helped with some of the flower details. I recall her anxiety over the simplicity of the dress and thinking it was not fancy enough. Well, I think it is simply elegant and I completely appreciate its understated beauty.


What a lovely day, and what a lovely little lady!

This post authored by Amber

3 comments:

Heather Child said...

Oh my word! Look at that simple little smile of hers! So adorable! What a great day it was!

Joy said...

OK let's all pause and gaze at that family photo of yours... Everyone is smiling and looks "normal!" What a great accomplishment-- And a beautiful little family. I love Ella's sweet face. She already looks older! I just about died when I saw her in that dress on her blessing day. Just SO precious, and yes, a beautiful dress (I like simple best!).

Pickle said...

Sorry we couldn't make it, looks like a great day. What a neat dress with your mother's touch! :) She is beautiful!