August 7, 2012

"Don't Be Offended By My Frank Analysis"


Wicked was WICKED! 

When it was learned that the Broadway show was going to make another run at the Capitol Theater in Salt Lake City, my sister-in-law, Jenny, had the wits to buy season tickets which would allow her to purchase tickets for Wicked  before they went on sale to the general public (or before the Capitol Theater turned most of them over to another ticketing company who would then mark-up the prices to outrageous amounts).  Jenny was able to offer us a chance to buy great seats for a reasonable price, and Jason and I jumped on the opportunity. We'd had our tickets for close to a year in advance, but it sure was fun to have something like that to look forward to.

There is a reason people make a big fuss about this show.  It is fantastic. Everything from the costumes to the set to the lighting design was jaw-droppingly flawless, but when it all comes down to it, Stephen Schwartz deserves his dues for the brilliantly written music and lyrics. 

I have loved listening to my soundtrack with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth all this time, but I must say that the performers we saw (Nicole Parker and Alli Mauzey) gave them a run for their money.  I'd go as far as to say that they were better, but it was a live performance, and I was all caught up and on the edge of my seat with excitement at being in the theater and witnessing it first-hand, so I don't think that makes for a fair comparison.

Well, anyway, I loved it.  I think Jason enjoyed it, too.  It was also quite easy to enjoy the experience knowing that our children were in the capable hands of Jason's parents, his sister, and her husband.  We could rest easy knowing they were having a grand old time playing at the pool. Many thanks to all who made the experience possible.  And now I have to wait for--who knows how long--for my next Wicked fix.  Hey Jason, I hear they're performing in Hawaii in November!  *wink, wink*

This post authored by Amber

1 comment:

Liz Adams said...

Wicked is amazing. We were able to see it a few times when it was in LA for 2 years and then I saw it again in Denver on the travelling show. It's brilliant! Glad you went!