June 12, 2012

That's a Wrap!


I'm pulling all my final end-of-the-year activities into one blog post to bid a formal "adieu" to the 2011-12 school year.  It seemed that once the required end of level assessments were completed, the last days of school were dedicated to field trips, extra recess, and just overall merriment making.

For instance, there was the school carnival where our family spent four hours enjoying the myriad of bounce house rides.  We were so glad it was not cancelled again this year due to foul weather, but the morning threatened with storm clouds, rain , and high winds.  The storm cleared out in time, but jackets were a necessity for the evening's activities.

Garrett and Spencer ran off in one direction...

...Brevin and his friends ran off in another.



Brevin made quick work of the rock wall.  He reached the top in no time!

I was able to help Spencer's class with a walking field trip to the library during the final week of school.  That was fun, until I lost track of Garrett as the crowds of first grade students exited the building.  I was stuck pushing Ella in the stroller, as he hurried ahead with the group toward the exit, but I didn't see him make a quick detour to play on the elevator.  When I discovered that he wasn't just outside the doors as I had expected, I ran ahead to catch a class that I thought he might have chased after while another mother searched the library.  We found him, but I hate those few minutes of separation from Garrett in public places!



The children were treated to a puppet show while at the library. 

We all love this interactive screen. As a person approaches the wall,
their image is projected into the artwork (you can even see me
with my camera in the image).  Pretty cool!

"Who likes to read chapter books?"

Sorry to say, but Garrett could care less about the books. 
He is only interested in the toy trains (and the elevator).


During the award assembly, Brevin was presented with an award from his teacher for turning in 100% of his homework assignments and he also earned the Presidential Physical Fitness Award.  I was thrilled to be able to be there to see him receive those honors.  Yep, I'm a proud mama!



On the last day of school, when the final bell rang and Handel's Hallelujah Chorus was being played over the school's intercom system, I was waiting outside the classrooms with flowers for the boys to give to their teachers as a "thank you" for loving and inspiring them.  It was such a wonderful school year, and we are so lucky to have such a phenomenal elementary school! 


This post authored by Amber

No comments: