March 1, 2010

Don't Let the Pigeon Wear Those Pants To School


Brevin's first-grade class had a character day at school on Friday. Each student was encouraged to bring a favorite book and come dressed up as a character from the book (hence the name "character day"). Seemingly odd to me, Brevin chose Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. (I'm relieved he didn't pick what I thought was his favorite book, Captain Underpants, but he may as well have, as you will shortly learn!)

The costuming seemed simple enough. I had a grey pilot cap, he had some grey shirts, and a pair of oversized baseball pants finished off the perfect ensemble. All I had to do was make a mask. It was perfect...or so I thought.

I got a phone call from the school at about 11:00 a.m. It was Brevin. He was asking if I could bring him a different pair of pants to change into. Apparently, he had gone to the bathroom earlier in the day and somehow managed to get the drawstring of the baseball pants into a wicked knot. It was a minor dilemma that prevented him from being able to properly cinch the waist to fit. When I arrived at his classroom, he exclaimed, "FINALLY!" and stood to retrieve the jeans from me while clutching to his pants in an effort to keep them up. It looked like he was holding on for dear life. I daresay, I don't think he shall soon forget the day he was a pigeon at school!

This post was authored by Amber

3 comments:

Noell said...

BAHAHAHA!!! That is the awesome!! He does make a good pigeon! :)

Joy said...

Oh goodness. Glad you were able to rescue him!!!

The Fears said...

That was a fun day for the kids. Alyssa was Fancy Nancy for her fav. character. She dressed all crazy and fancy with feathers in her hair. I love that she does what she likes right now and doesn't worry about what the other kids might think.